TENCEL botanic fiber
TENCEL™ is a botanic fiber found in nature. It is harvested from Eucalyptus trees and produced through a closed loop manufacturing process, which means it's eco-friendly and safe for the environment. Eucalyptus trees are sustainable, regenerate quickly, and grown free of herbicides and pesticides. Our Lenzing TENCEL™is sourced from forests certified by the Forest Stewardship Council and PEFC.
TENCEL vs. Organic Cotton
Conventional cotton production can use up to 2000 chemicals during the entire manufacturing lifecycle. If a fabric is organic, but not GOTS certified, harmful chemicals are still present in production. TENCEL™ by Lenzing is manufactured with one non-toxic organic chemical compound and is tested and proved to not be in the fiber after production. Many organic cotton products start from an organic cotton field, but during production many chemicals are used which no longer makes the fiber organic.
- TENCEL™ is softer than silk and cooler than linen. It possess perfect moisture management. The higher the moisture absorption the drier the sleeping environment. TENCEL™ absorbs 70% more moisture than cotton in a controlled manner and then quickly releases it to provide the perfect dry sleeping environment. This property of the fiber reduces bacterial growth without the addition of chemicals (it is nearly impossible for bacteria to grow on the fiber).
- TENCEL ™ is naturally hypoallergenic and is not bleached or dyed. In addition, it does not generate static charge; therefore, dust and other particles do not cling to the fiber giving it additional hypoallergenic qualities.
- TENCEL™, by Lenzing, adheres to much stricter standards and uses very few chemicals compared to the product of organic cotton, rayon, bamboo and many other fibers. In fact, only one non-toxic organic compound is used in their eco-friendly closed loop production cycle.
- Research shows that dust mites actually die off rather than increase (like with conventional bedding) due to moisture management naturally found in TENCEL™ fibers.
- Even though TENCEL ™is a natural fiber it is still easily machine washable. A great property of TENCEL™ is that it actually gets softer the more you wash it; it also does not pill as fast at cotton.
- Eucalyptus trees are a sustainable resource, as they regenerate quickly and do not require perfect soil conditions.
- The fiber yield of TENCEL™ is 10 times higher than conventional cotton, which means for every 1 cotton shirt, 10 TENCEL™ shirts can be made.
- TENCEL™ is not bleached or dyed like many cotton products.
Is TENCEL eco-friendly?
Lenzing's TENCEL™ production is revolutionary and they have been granted more than 100 patents at the international level for the invention of TENCEL™. The solvent spinning production process allows for a unique closed loop production where the solvent used is recycled by almost 100%. This production cycle is not only safe, but extremely eco-friendly making TENCEL™the fiber of the future.